You might not realise how important sleep is to our overall wellbeing.
PRIMARY SCHOOL CHILDREN NEED: 10 – 12 hours sleep per day.
ADULTS: 7 – 9 Hours per day.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE DON’T GET ENOUGH SLEEP?
- BEHAVIOUR – aggressive, antisocial, withdrawn, hyperactive.
- EMOTIONAL – moody, depressed, anxious, stressed, uneasy, unconfident, irritable.
- CONCENTRATION- inattentive, lock of concentration, falling behind in school.
- CREATIVITY – not working at full potential
- PROBLEM SOLVING – poor behaviours control and difficulty in social situations.
- MOTOR COORDINATION – less sporty, more accidents, clumsier
- WEIGHT – being obese and overweight is more likely with less sleep
- HEALTH – poorer immune system – maybe being sicker more often.
THE IMPORTANCE OF SLEEP IS NO LESS IMPORTANT THAN
FOOD AND DRINK TO OUR HEALTH.
HERE ARE SOME TIPS TO HELP YOU AND YOUR FAMILY TO GET INTO BETTER SLEEP PATTERNS.
- No TV/computer games 1 hour before bed.
- Monitor mobile phone use in bed
- No coke/caffeine, high sugar or high spicy food 3-4 hours before bed.
- Make bedtime routine relaxing – special time.
- Relaxing techniques such as breathing or meditation.
- No vigorous exercise 1 hour before bed as this raises the body temperature.
- Finish eating 2-3 hours before bed – milk is ok.
- Make sure that your bedroom is comfortable (temperature, light and noise)
- Set bedtimes and try and keep these times regular.
- Talk to your children about the importance of sleep to keep them healthy.